RS17 Choreographer Announcement/ Dancer Audition
Thank you to all who submitted choreographic work for Rhythmically Speaking 2017, running August 17-19 at the Illusion Theater in downtown Minneapolis, MN. Each year, we receive many thoughtful, intriguing and high-quality submissions, which makes for a lot of difficult decisions. Like a creative puzzle, the show has been curated as a whole to represent a diverse range of work while fitting together as a cohesive, intriguing production of a decent length. There were many factors at play in selecting works for the show, including centrality of metric rhythm, artistic quality, style, concept, and length.
Jeffrey Peterson (MN-bred, PA-based!)
RS Artistic Director Erinn Liebhard will also be presenting a piece in the show. For more on this year’s choreographers, visit the ANNUAL SHOW section of this website.
Interested in dancing in the show?
O’Calla Joslyn, Erinn Liebhard and Jeffrey Peterson will be holding an audition for dancers for their works from 6-9pm on Sunday, March 19th in Studio 4B at Zenon Dance Company and School. We are seeking dancers who enjoy and are proficient in the following:
- O’Calla: jazz and various hip hop styles reminiscent of the movement of the Fly Girls from TV’s “In Living Color,” inherent comfort in being rhythmic and moving between these styles
- Erinn: releasing personal groove, feeling grounded connection between the floor, the music, oneself and others, rhythmic footwork and improvisation, appreciation for jazz-influenced electronic music (work sample)
- Jeffrey: moving between modern and jazz, getting into their grounding, rhythmic skill, work between supple and accented approaches, theatricality, contemporary partnering experience a plus (work sample)
Rehearsal schedule and compensation determined individually by each choreographer. Must be available:
- 8/16 evening/ 8/17 afternoon (one 1-1.5 hr tech slot per piece)
- 8/17 6-10pm (dress)
- 8/17 – 8/19 6-10pm (shows)
Bring three printed copies of your headshot and resume (attached front to back, please), and come prepared to move through a warm-up and phrase work from each choreographer. To RSVP (not required), visit this Facebook event. Questions can be directed to Erinn at email@example.com.
Thank you for engaging with us: we are here to serve the jazz and American vernacular dance community, and appreciate you being a part of it! Groove on,
RS17 Selection Committee
– Karen Charles (Director, Threads Dance Project)
– Erinn Liebhard (RS Artistic Director/ Production Mgr)
– Zoe Sealy (RS Board member)