We’re thrilled to be producing a LIVE, OUTDOOR show on May 22 and 23! Held at The Shed @ The Lab Brewery (covered venue) in conjunction with beloved local tap company Keane Sense of Rhythm, we’re calling it “Jazz on Tap” – get it?! We are presenting The Cohort 20/21, our show rescheduled from August 2020 (more on that below), and KSR is presenting Mirror and Fission, featuring works by choreographer Davon Suttles. As if LIVE DANCE (with proper pandemic safety protocols) isn’t enough, there will also be live music, open jams, food trucks and great drinks! Would streaming the show at home work better for you? No problem! The Saturday, May 22nd 2pm (RS) and 4pm (KSR) shows will be live-streamed!
WHAT: The Cohort 20/21 @ “Jazz on Tap”
WHERE: The Shed @ The Lab Brewery
2 pm – Rhythmically Speaking
4 pm – Keane Sense
7 pm – Rhythmically Speaking
Livestream option for the 2pm and 4pm shows together available on this day only
2 pm – Keane Sense
4 pm – Rhythmically Speaking
7 pm – Keane Sense @ 7pm
Wanna catch both company’s shows live? You can purchase a ‘pod’ of seating for either a 2pm or 4pm show on either Saturday or Sunday, then select the appropriate add on when buying tickets to gain discounted access to the other show (2 or 4pm) on the day you are attending!
FACEBOOK EVENT: Here – drop an RSVP!
TICKETS: Bear with us, folks. Between distanced ‘pods’ of seating, rotating two different shows, offering livestream and ‘package deal’ options to see both and flexible pricing, ticketing for this event is COMPLEX! Please read the below purchase instructions (and Covid-19 safety information) with care.
We know this year has been challenging, so we are using a modified “pay what you can” model for our shows. You will need to pay a minimum amount in advance to reserve your seating pod. When you arrive at the show, you will be asked to make an additional per person ticket donation. Tickets are valued at $25 per person (minus the reservation fee).
Single Ticket: $20 reservation fee + $5 or more donation at the door
2-3 Person Pod: $40 reservation fee + $10-$35 or more donation at the door
4-6 Person Pod: $80 reservation fee + $20-$70 or more donation at the door
Bring Your Own Balcony: $20 reservation fee + $5-$80 or more donation at the door
If you cannot afford to make an additional donation, that’s ok. We want everyone to be able to attend! Making and sharing art takes resources: these additional donations will help us offset our own costs, including equitable compensation for the artists. Please note that all performances are BYOC – bring your own chair! We also have BYOB pods – “Bring Your Own Balcony,” tickets parking a vehicle on the outside perimeter of the venue – backing a pick-up truck into these spots is ideal!
To purchase tickets, you will head to our TicketLeap (the ticketing service we are using for the shows) landing page, where you will see events listed for the Rhythmically Speaking and Keane Sense of Rhythm shows, the livestream option and open tap/ dance jams that are a part of our “Jazz on Tap” series! If you are planning to attend both the 2pm and 4pm shows Saturday or Sunday (i.e. purchase the ‘package deal’), click on either the ‘Rhythmically Speaking’ or ‘Keane Sense of Rhythm’ events, and you’ll be offered a prompt along the way to set this up. Pointers for a smooth ticket purchase:
- From our TicketLeap landing page, select the event you’d like to attend;
- Click ‘Tickets’ on the left sidebar;
- Click the date you’d like to attend;
- Click the ‘Any Table’ dropdown menu and select a seating pod with the appropriate amount of people for your party (ex: “3W for 4-6′ will seat 4-6 people, “BYO-Balcony” is for vehicle parking around the outside of the venue. Note: to get a look at the seating chart, access TicketLeap on a desktop or laptop computer. If you are planning to purchase the ‘package deal,’ take note of which pod you’ve selected.);
- Select the ‘Ticket Type’ that corresponds to the size of seating pod you’ve selected, enter ‘1’ under ‘QTY’ (Quantity), and then scroll down to click ‘Add to Cart’;
- If purchasing a pod of seating for either the 2pm or 4pm shows on either Saturday or Sunday, you will be prompt about adding a ticket for the other show happening that day – i.e. turning your purchase into the ‘package deal.’ If you are not interested in this, click the ‘Proceed to Checkout’ button found at the top of the page to complete your purchase. If you are interested in the package deal, select the same pod from the drop-down menu that you did for the first show, select the ‘Ticket Type’ that corresponds to the size of seating pod you’ve selected, enter ‘1’ under ‘QTY’ (Quantity), and then scroll down to click ‘Add to Cart’, which will take you to a new screen to complete your purchase.
- When completing your purchase, if you are attending a 2pm and 4pm show on the same day (i.e. the ‘package deal,’) be sure you’ve selected the same pod for each. If you haven’t, click ‘Edit’ and use the seating chart that pops up to pick the correct pod. Cancel the old one by hitting the ‘X’ next to it and then hitting ‘Save,’ which will take you back to your check-out page.
Please note that you will be asked to check a box agreeing to a waiver for attending this performance.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION (INCLUDING COVID-19 SAFETY PRECAUTIONS): The below information will also be included on the ‘Restrictions’ section of our TicketLeap site, and will be emailed to ticket buyers in a reminder the day before show attendance.
- Bring: Fully-charged smartphones or tablets, and a chair for each person in your party – show programs will be online only, and for sanitation purposes, we will not be providing chairs, only (distanced for safety) placement! If you purchase/d a “BYOB,” or “Bring Your Own Balcony” pod, we recommend coming in the tallest vehicle available to you – truck, SUV, etc.: pull in backwards, climb into the bed or pop the hatch and you’ve got yourself balcony seating! Another note about devices: If attending the RS production, know that you will be prompted to view one of the pieces – a dance film – on your own device during the show.
- Parking: Free in the brewery lot.
- Masks: Encouraged at all times except when in your seat/s (and you are encouraged to wear them there, when not eating and drinking, as well). Performers will remove their masks upon entering the stage space to perform, and will put them back on when exiting at the end of each piece. We are opting to perform without masks because we are all vaccinated and the pieces are contactless and sufficiently distanced, and there is much to be gained from seeing the expressions on our faces as we perform these pieces.
- Check-In/ Ticketing: At one of three different touchless stations located on the South side of The Shed. Be prepared to show your ticket confirmation email, and to make a suggested additional donation of $5.00 (or more!) per person in your party (cash and credit accepted).
- Restrooms: There will be two well-maintained porta-potties on site, and the restrooms inside The Lab Taproom will also be available.
- Food and Drink: Cafe Cairo will be on-site starting at 1pm on Saturday and 3pm on Sunday. To check out their menu and plan ahead for what you’re gonna nosh on, visit their website! The Lab taproom will be open during all shows for you to enjoy a beer before the show/s, during intermission/s and/or after the shows: drinks must be consumed in their taproom or on their patio (and may not be carried over to the performance area). Discounted crowlers of beer to bring home and enjoy (not to be consumed on site) will also be on sale! Please do not bring your own food or beverages (with the exception of non-alcoholic adult beverages, which will not be for sale on site).
- Show Etiquette: Prior to the show, please silence your devices, and be advised that taking photos or videos of the show is not permitted.
- Inclement Weather: In the event of severe inclement weather, the decision to cancel will be made on the day of the show and communicated via email. While the option for a refund will be given, we ask that those who are able donate forward the cost of their tickets, as 1) despite cancellation, we will still have incurred all expenses associated with producing the show, and 2) every effort will be made to reschedule the show for later in the summer.
THE SHOWS: The weekend will be comprised of 6 performances, three by us and three by Keane Sense of Rhythm. We are presenting The Cohort 20/21, featuring works by choreographers Dougie Robbins (NY), Ayo Walker (TN), Kayla Schiltgen (MN) and RS Artistic Director Erinn Liebhard. The program celebrates the breadth and depth of what ‘jazz and American social dance ideas’ can look and feel like in performance. Keane Sense of Rhythm will present Mirror & Fission, a new work by choreographer Davon Suttles that explores concepts of social construct, conflict and control. Excerpts from his show Melanized, a multimedia tap show about the life of a person of color, will also be performed, and KSR’s Youth Tap Ensemble will make special guest appearances.
MORE ABOUT ‘THE COHORT’: For 10 years, our annual summer production featured 7-9 new and revisited works by primarily local and occasionally visiting choreographers who each had their own cast of dancers. In 2019, we shifted it’s format to what we are now calling The Cohort, featuring a company of dancers performing works by one local and two visiting choreographers alongside work by RS Artistic Director Erinn Liebhard. This shift has allowed us to create deeper engagement for collaborating artists and the presentation of more substantial works for our audiences to chew on. This will be the most unconventional ‘summer show’ we’ve ever produced in our 13 years as a company, and we think that’s exciting. We are looking forward to offering a safe live performance experience after months of so few of them, and to sharing what we’ve been creating with you!
Still have questions at this time? Connect with us. Thank you for your interest in “Jazz on Tap”!