Jazz: Roots & Branches Workshops
One of the ways we feel we can help keep you groovin’ during this turbulent and uncertain time is to create and share a series of short videos that’ll help you move through and learn about jazz dance! This series includes five different approaches:
- #GetUpOffaThatThang: history and instruction on a jazzy dance step
- #WheresTheJazz: RS artists identify what they see as ‘jazzy’ in selected dance videos
- #RSArtistProfiles: hybrid interview-improv introductions to our excellent collaborating artists
- #CreatorsCut: RS artists give a peek into their experiences developing pieces for our past shows
- #ThroughTheYears: montages of the works from our past summer annual shows
We hope to release two new videos each week via Facebook, Instagram and YouTube for the near future. If you enjoy what we create, Like/ Follow/ Subscribe, and share our videos with others you think would enjoy them too!
Keep your eye out for more from us about other potential programs in the works, including Conversations in Jazz discussions: A series of virtual discussions featuring guest artists that could foray into jazz history, theory, choreography, pedagogy . . . the direction of the conversations would be determined by guest expertise and audience curiosity!
. . .
RECENT WORKSHOPS & EVENTS
Rhythmically Speaking Jazz Class
Rhythmically Speaking is excited to partner with Ballet Co. Laboratory to offer an open teen/ adult drop-in class this Fall! Details:
- When: Mondays 7-8:30pm October 7th through December 16th 2019
- Where: Ballet Co. Laboratory – 276 E. Lafayette Frontage Rd., St. Paul, MN 55107
- Who: All teens and adults are welcome at this drop-in class that skews intermediate/ advanced in level
- Parking: FREE!
- Cost/ Registration: Visit Ballet Co. Laboratory
Our drop-in class is inspired by three ideas Rhythmically Speaking Artistic Director Erinn Liebhard feels are at the heart of jazz and other American social dance-inspired forms: groove, interaction and improvisation. Groove leads the way into exploring the embodiment of jazz and jazz-related musics, from digging a good downbeat to syncopation to complex polyrhythms. With that sense of groove as a base, dancers can open up to deeper interaction with themselves, others and the music. With a solid understanding and appreciation of groove and interaction, dancers can slide into the playful joy of improvisation, creating musically and socially-responsive movement in the moment.
Rhythmically Speaking values and situates jazz dance as an amalgam of Africanist and Europeanist ideas with contributions from many other parts of the world, and gives particular focus to Africanist base elements including groundedness and high-affect juxtaposition of dynamics while putting jazz and jazz-related musics at the center of class. RS AD Erinn’s classes always include a thorough warm-up, innovative across-the-floor sequences and groovy combinations that inspire dancers to connect with themselves, one another, the music and the moment.
The Cohort Workshops and Showings (August 2019)
Don’t want to wait until August to experience the works on this year’s Rhythmically Speaking annual summer production? We’re doing previews of each piece and master classes with each choreographer!
- Erinn’s Showing: Wednesday, March 13 from 5-5:30pm
- Erinn’s Class: Friday, March 15 from 9:30-11am
- Julie’s Class: Friday, April 26 from 9:30-11am
- Julie’s Showing: Friday, April 26 from 5-5:30pm
- Rohan’s Class: Friday, June 7 from 9:30-11am
- Rohan’s Showing: Friday, June 7 from 5-5:30pm
- Pat’s Class: Friday, July 12 from 9:30-11am
- Pat’s Showing: Friday, July 12 from 5-5:30pm
All events were held at Zenon Dance School.
Rhythmically Speaking + Dance BARN (June 2019)
Rhythmically Speaking is headed up to Battle Lake, MN June 27-28 to teach classes at Dance BARN‘s Youth Camp and to perform shows for campers and the public. We couldn’t be more excited to share our approach to jazz with the Lakes Area! If you are nearby, stop in!
Show with Confusion (rock band):
When: Thursday, June 27th @ 7:30pm
Where: Lakes Area Community Center
Jazz Night at Stub’s (also featuring Confusion)
When: Friday, June 28th @ 8pm
Where: Stub’s Dining and Saloon