We are excited to announce our support of Visual Grooves, a joint project with TC tapper Molly Stoltz and Bob DeBoer of the GST band to build dancer/ musician collaborations! This event is an expansion of those Erinn Liebhard of RS held with the GST band under the same name in summer 2013.
Information from Molly:
“We are invite musicians and choreographers to submit their applications for a showcase that will be organized and presented in Winter 2015. We want to bring musicians and dancers to create new, original work to be shown in a casual setting. We have three goals in creating this project: supporting both emerging and experienced artists who are looking to expand their horizons, support new collaborations in creating original music paired with rhythm based improvisation and choreography where each has shaped and informed the other, and foster relationships in the performing arts community that will continue artistic works in the future.
Collaborations will be chosen based on how they fit the goals of the project, but also by the artist’s willingness to contribute their own thoughts and ideas to the project. The venue details are currently being decided but we have a few venues interested and excited about hosting the event. There is also the possibility to make this a recurring event at different venues, depending on artist’s interest.”
The work must be rhythm-based. The show is called Visual Grooves, so let’s groove! The work must be original. Music and dance pieces can be something you’ve thought about or worked on in the past, but they must transform and become something different as a result of this collaboration. Improvisation is a welcome and exciting component, but the base of the work must be choreographed and composed as this is not a jam or improv session. There are two ways to get involved. 1). Apply without a collaborative partner and tell us about what you do. We’ll connect you with another applicant who may share a similar interest if possible! 2). Find a collaboration partner and apply together!
- 12/11, 2014: Applications Due
- 12/17, 2014: Decision is announced, and artists are chosen and notified via email
- Wk of 2/16: Check-in (see/discuss progress, answer questions, plan performance
- Late March: Tech and first performance (dependent upon venue/availability)
Please note that the 12/11 due date is actually an extension from the original due date of 11/28. Applications turned in between the two due dates may be considered for a slot in our time and location TBD second round of performances.
The show does not have a set stipend. However, ticket sales will be shared with all artists, so the stipend will depend on the venue and the number of audience members.
Send an email answering the following questions to email@example.com.
- Are you a dancer, a musician, or both? Tell us about yourself, include a short bio;
- Do you have a website, Youtube channel, SoundCloud, Facebook page, internet places to go where we can find you doing your art? If so, list;
- Have you collaborated with live dance or music before? If not, why are you interested now? If you have, what has your experience been?;
- Tell us how the heart of your dance or music grooves and is rhythmic. How do you groove? How do you define your art as rhythmic?;
- Give us your contact information!
Looking forward to seeing your submissions! Happy holidays!
Erinn (+ Molly)